The contest for promoting book #1 is officially over. However, YOU MAY STILL SUBMIT POINTS in the contest up to the level of 13,600 points, which is the highest level achieved at the end of the contest. This will allow you to earn points toward THE GRAND PRIZE OF YOUR VERY OWN EXCALIBUR! So don’t stop now!
AND DON’T FORGET! CONTEST #2 WILL OPEN VERY SOON!
(NEW CONTEST FEATURE — Check Your Ranking By CLICKING HERE!)
Hello from Robert Treskillard, the author of the just released novel, MERLIN’S BLADE, book 1 of The Merlin Spiral.
I have some exciting news … not just one contest, but THREE CONTESTS! And with a grand prize to top them all!
So … this is the official OPENING announcement of the first one—the Merlin’s Blade Promotion Contest!
There will be a separate contest for each novel in The Merlin Spiral trilogy, and that the GRAND PRIZE for the highest total points for all three contests will be … (drum roll, please) …
THE GRAND PRIZE:
- YOUR VERY OWN EXCALIBUR with a hilt and scabbard hand-made by the author!
This prize is worth well over $1000 if you were to purchase a blade and scabbard of this quality from a craftsman, so this is a HUGE, AMAZING opportunity!
Note that the blade to be given will have a dull, theatrical style edge … the one that I made for the book trailer and book cover is *very* sharp, and I don’t want anyone getting hurt.
Also, if any contestant lives near St. Louis, Missouri, they will have the opportunity of coming out to see me pour the bronze hilt in the spring of 2014!
So, now that you know the GRAND PRIZE, what are the prizes for the individual contests?
Your choice of either:
- A $150 High Performance Dremel Tool Kit
- A highly rated Brother Sewing Machine
- A Kindle Fire 7″ Wi-Fi
- A Merlin’s Blade T-Shirt signed by the author
- An Apple Ipod Shuffle, and
- A Merlin’s Blade T-Shirt signed by the author
Five Consolation Prizes:
- A Merlin’s Blade T-Shirt signed by the author
So how do you earn points? By helping to promote Merlin’s Blade of course! Specifically, points can be earned for the following:
|Promotional Activity||Points Earned||# of Times You Can
Earn These Points
|Written Online Review of Merlin’s Blade And Posted To Amazon.com, BN.com, Goodreads.com, ChristianBook.com, your personal blog, a group-blog, or another book review site. Previously posted reviews count, so make sure you submit them.||600 pts||6x|
|Getting another fan To LIKE The Facebook Page for the trilogy||200 pts||10x|
|Getting another fan to become a member at KingArthur.org.uk||200 pts||10x|
|Translate all Ogham Secret Code from Merlin’s Blade||400 pts||1x|
|Post a link to the Merlin’s Blade book trailer in such a way to promote it and the novel||200 pts||5x|
|Post a link to KingArthur.org.uk, promoting it to others.||200 pts||5x|
|Post a photo online of you thanking a bookstore employee for carrying Merlin’s Blade||400 pts||2x|
|Post a photo online of you thanking a librarian for shelving Merlin’s Blade||400 pts||1x|
|Donate at least $10 to a charity whose focus is on preventing blindness||2000 pts||1x|
|Film and post online* a video of you drawing a character from Merlin’s Blade||200 pts||3x|
|Film and post online* a video of you drawing a scene from Merlin’s Blade||200 pts||3x|
|Film and post online* a video of you sculpting something inspired by Merlin’s Blade||400 pts||2x|
|Film and post online* a video of you reading a selection of Merlin’s Blade to other teens||400 pts||1x|
|Film and post online* a video of you reading a selection of Merlin’s Blade at a location similar to that in the novel. Put yourself in the exact same location as the character…||400 pts||1x|
|Film and post online* a video of you making custom jewelry inspired by Merlin’s Blade||400 pts||2x|
|Film and post online* a video of you playing a Celtic song on an instrument||400 pts||1x|
|Film and post online* a video of you reading a poem you wrote inspired by Merlin’s Blade||400 pts||1x|
|Film and post online* a video of a staged fight scene from Merlin’s Blade (with adult supervision)||400pts||1x|
|Film and post online* a video of you singing a song in a Celtic language such as Irish, Scots Gaelic, Cornish, Welsh, or Manx||400 pts||2x|
|Film and post online* a video of you casting pewter arrowheads using wood or clay molds(with adult supervision)||400 pts||1x|
|Film and post online* a video of you weaving cloth||400 pts||1x|
|Film and post online* a video of you (attempting!) to play a song on the bagpipe. Let’s see if you can play better than Garth!||400 pts||1x|
|Film and post online* a video of you playing a Celtic harp song||400 pts||1x|
|Film and post online* a video of you making and serving a meal inspired by Merlin’s Blade||600 pts||1x|
|Film and post online* a video of you making something by blacksmithing (with adult supervision)||800 pts||1x|
|Film and post online* a video of you making a knife (with adult supervision)||1000 pts||1x|
|Film and post online* a video of you making and wearing a costume inspired by Merlin’s Blade||1000 pts||2x|
Video Filming Instructions (*)
- At the end of the video, you need to hold up a copy of Merlin’s Blade, talk a little bit about it and the contest, and then mention the website of KingArthur.org.uk.
- ALSO … try to make the videos as fun as possible because the VERY BEST video in each category will receive an extra 400 points! Decisions will be made at the end of the contest comparing each video produced to the others in its category. This is a subjective judgment, and sometimes might be random in case more than one entry is of top quality Keep in mind that audio quality will be factored in.
- Note that all videos should be posted to either Youtube.com, Godtube.com, or both if you have time.
Rules For submitting activities for points:
- You may only submit one activity per day. This means that you may not stack up entries near the end of the contest to “come from behind” in a surprise move, so plan carefully and use the days wisely. There are approximately 67 different activities, with 123 days in the contest. If you submit more than one per day, only the first one will be counted. Don’t do this as it will waste everyone’s time.
- You must be a registered member of this website. If you haven’t registered yet, make sure you do so by clicking here.
- All points will be tracked by the user id you are logged in with, so be careful who is logged in if multiple members of your family have membership here.
- The contest rules may change if absolutely needed due to unforeseen issues.
- If you think up an activity that fits Merlin’s Blade and want to propose it to Robert for points, contact him here. If he thinks it’s a valid point-getter, he just may open it up to everyone.
- Some activities can take a long time, so you only need to show part of the process in the video.
- To see your ranking in the contest click HERE. Although point totals are not revealed for others, you can see your own points if you are logged in, as well as click your name to view all of your contest activities.
- Participants should not reveal their point totals publicly so as not to discourage others in the contest. Doing so may result in a penalty.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: When the second contest begins for book 2, these rules will change to allow latecomers to attempt to catch up and win the grand prize. This will amount to opening up the rules to allow them to promote book 1 separately from book 2 and earn points. No intermediary contest prizes will be given for such activity, however, but the points will count toward the grand prize. The number of back-entries each person will be allowed will be based on how late they joined the contest.
- THE CONTEST IS OPEN TO ALL COUNTRIES. However, if an international wins an intermediary competition, Robert Treskillard has the right to convert prizes to a cash prize in order to avoid exorbitant shipping costs. If an international wins the GRAND PRIZE of the author-made sword, they must be willing to pay the shipping costs from the United States to receive it.
- If you post anything online, you MUST provide a link to prove that you posted it. No points will be approved without A WEBSITE LINK. Also, if you used a different identity to post the review, explain that in the comments.
- If you win FIRST PLACE and are under 18, you must get your parent’s permission on which prize you choose.
- If you win FIRST PLACE in one contest, you will not be allowed to win FIRST PLACE in another contest. Your points still count toward the GRAND PRIZE, however, as well as lesser prizes.
- If you win SECOND PLACE in one contest, you will not be allowed to win SECOND place in another contest. Your points still count toward FIRST PLACE, a consolation prize or the GRAND PRIZE, however.
- All reviews are, of course, to be honest! You get just as many points for a critical review as for a glowing review. Authors can only get better when we hear the truth!
- For the knife making activity, be especially careful. Making a knife or sword from wood will also be allowed if the parents or participant deems this activity too dangerous.
- Some of these activities *can* be dangerous, so if you are under 18, make sure you get your parents’ permission and involve them. By participating in this contest you agree that all risks are your own and that you will hold Robert Treskillard, his publisher, and his agent harmless.
To submit points, go to this web page!
Updates on 9/14/2013 – Robert raised the point winnings for making a costume from 600 to 1000, clarified the rules on what happens if you win FIRST or SECOND place, and provided the link to the contest rankings inside the rules.